Well, I've fully accepted that I will not be coaching next fall. That will be the first football season since 1986 that I have not been a part of as either a player or a coach! Amazing, to think every fall for 25 years I've been involved with organized football. Anyhow, this has gotten me to thinking (as well as a conversation with Jgordon on the Huey board) about writing a book. I've never done this, so I'm still thinking heavily about it. I wanted some input on it, and so I decided to put up a poll on it and see if anyone would be interested in what I'd have to write. I was thinking of writing a book on the Flexbone offense, basically building it from the ground up. What do you think? Check the poll question at the bottom of the page and answer honestly. I respect every one's opinion, so go ahead let me have it! We could call it the Roast of Coach Duece, although I highly doubt Comedy Central would give us any airtime!
Anyhow, some other ramblings. As for taking a year off, my situation may be more than a year, and could be permanent. I don't know what the future holds, however I plan to keep my nose in books/DVD's and the Internet to keep up with this wonderful game of football. I'm actually quite relieved to not be coaching next year. I never thought I'd say that, but if you went through what I've been through the past 3 seasons, you'd know why. Amassing a dismal 2-28 record can do that to even the best of us. I remember hearing older coaches speaking about taking a year off, and I probably looked at them like they had an arm growing out of their ass! Now, after having heavily approached burn-out, I need to devote some more time to my family, and only rightfully so, they have allowed me to pursue a wonderful dream of being a high school football coach.
Some things to remember when you're out there this fall:
- Make sure you're doing it for the right reasons, those kids you coach are young men, and will hopefully turn into great men, never forget that.
- Always remember, there's something bigger out there than what you are doing. With that being said, I won't dive into religion, but the old axiom, of Faith, Family, Football comes to mind. Keep it real!
- If you're in a bad situation, just remember, it's worse somewhere else. I lived this, and believe me, it's true!
- Do what you know. Don't get too hooked on all the latest crazes and fads, if you know the Miami 4-3, then run it! Do what you know, so you know how to fix it when it's broken. Again, I lived this too, and I can tell you these words are still ringing in my ears.
- "Dream as if you'll live forever...live as if you'll die today!"
Just thought I'd pass this on, if you need anything, email me at email@example.com I will help all I can. Looking forward to some time off and doing some relaxing! Go get em' guys!